Monday, September 19, 2011

Talk versus Action

There is a significant difference between talking about doing something versus just doing it. Talk is cheap. I try to focus on what I am doing everyday instead of what I am thinking or talking about doing. For example if I tell people that I want to go the gym and get into the best shape of my life, that is a fantastic idea. However, I have to ask myself what I am going to do to achieve this goal, and then do it. This sounds really simple, doesn't it? Ridiculously so. I do not know about all of you, but I am really good at talking about doing various things many times. If I talk about doing things over and over, then I have mastered the art of bullshittng myself and others. This art form is good some of the time. We all have to do it sometimes. However, if I procrastinate on life goals, and I bullshit myself, it hurts me. So, where does this tendency to procrastinate come from? For me personally, procrastination and fear go together. I'm not saying that I am afraid of cleaning my room. That's just procrastnation courtesy of being a lazy ass. Procrastination is a complex matter psychologically. In my experience fear is often a big part of it. Fear stands for fuck everything and run. I think face everything and reality is more positive. All this stuff goes into procrastination. Fear, perfectionism, frustration, laziness, being overwhelmed and blah, blah, blah. For some people procrastination is a major problem, and it is very hard for them to do anything about it. My heart goes out to those people. However, I personally am not like that. I procrastinate on the important tasks sometimes, especially if the end result might be a little scary. I tend to talk about doing certain things that I am not comfortable doing. Of course talking about doing things is important. I like to set goals. Talking to people about doing things and then not doing them is just torture, especially if they are going to be beneficial for your life. I would love to have some years back to do things I procrastinated on. That is impossible. Now is the time to take action. People have told me to just do it when I have been talking about things I am procrastinating on because I am afraid. Just do it is a Nike commercial is how I used to respond when people would say that to me. However the phrase is the truth. For those who procrastinate occasionally on certain things, I think working in small steps is the way to go with the more difficult tasks. Start now though, or you are in trouble. For those who have a serious problem with procrastination, just try your best. I would suggest working with a therapist or something. I was inspired to write this post, because procrastinating on a task and continually talking about it is safe at first, but is a self-esteem killer in the end. I will leave you with this inspiring quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and no I am not putting off a more important task by writing his blog. "Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true."

No comments:

Post a Comment