Thursday, September 15, 2011

Favorite Beatle's Song

It sure is hard to pick a favorite Beatles song. One of the songs that always moves me is "Julia", which is off of the white album. Every time I go into Starbucks lately, I keep hearing the Beatles. It must be a theme right now. They are my favorite band of all time, so no complaints from me. I bought the white album in the summer of 2004, and I listened to "Julia" and wondered who John Lennon was talking about. It turns out he was talking about his mother. I also was struck by how much tenderness and sadness was in John's playing and singing. It was the sadness that struck me the most. John Lennon's life with his mother ended in terrible tragedy. When John was a child, Julia's sister Mimi insisted on having custody of John. John was an only child, and when he was born Julia and John's father Alfred separated. John was very witty, musical, thoughtful and humerous. Julia had these attributes as well, and she taught him how to play the banjo and other things. When John was just 17 years old, his mother got run over by an off duty police car. This affected John for the rest of his life as it would anyone. The level of sadness in this song is heartbreaking. Here are the words which show how great a poet John Lennon was. I really love the line about her hair of floating sky. "Half of what I say is meaningless But I say it just to reach you, Julia Julia, Julia, oceanchild, calls me So I sing a song of love, Julia Julia, seashell eyes, windy smile, calls me So I sing a song of love, Julia Her hair of floating sky is shimmering, glimmering, In the sun Julia, Julia, morning moon, touch me So I sing a song of love, Julia When I cannot sing my heart I can only speak my mind, Julia Julia, sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me So I sing a song of love, Julia Hum hum hum...calls me So I sing a song of love for Julia, Julia, Julia."

No comments:

Post a Comment