Sunday, October 7, 2012

Doing The Right Thing

    It was still dark when I woke up this morning.  That's just not cool.  Even my cat was like what the fuck is this. So I rode the NJ transit to Trenton, and got on the SEPTA.  This guy behind me got on, and asked about the train in an insanely loud tenor voice.  I almost made a sarcastic remark like they can hear you  in Washington.  But no, I didn't do that.  He was obviously confused.  So, he said I think I'm on the wrong train.  It turns out he was completely on the wrong train.  So, I did what was right, and I got him onto the right train by carrying his bag and everything.  Doing the right thing felt really good. I don't care what people think about this, I just know it makes me feel good.     Doing the wrong thing just feels bad.  If I had told that guy to shut up, I would have felt bad all day long.  My behavior effects other people and animals.  We are all human.  Of course we make mistakes with regard to how we treat people.  I always have to try to forgive myself when I make mistakes.  I am my own worst critic.  But, I was glad I knew what the right thing was this morning.  It taught me a valuable lesson.  I've been taking the train to and from Philly, and New York for over a decade, so I tend to take it for granted because I know what to do.  This man was clearly confused, and nearly missed his train, so I was glad I could be of help.  Helping like that should be a natural instinct.  I think that for most people it is underneath.    It's a normal thing to do, but I still enjoy writing about these things regardless.

5 comments:

  1. "So I took the compassionate approach versus saying something stupid to him."

    Were those really the only two options?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say they were the only two options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick,

      If my post came off as a bit flippant, please accept my apologies. I assumed that you meant that those were your only two options, because you separated them with "versus," and also, because the option (just of of many) of ignoring the loud man on the train wasn't mentioned.

      Delete
  3. That's ok Archie. At first I did ignore him, but I thought about telling him I shut up. I didn't ignore him by much. I was tired and had less patience than usual. When he said he thought he was on the wrong train. He asked for help with his bag. I was glad I ignored him when he first called out, and ended up helping him in the end. He was right behind me, so it was quite startling. I didn't realize he was lost when he first called out, so that's where the compassion part came in.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure it my reply actually made sense. Long day.

    ReplyDelete