Monday, November 28, 2011

Listening

Listening is an essential form of communication. It is important for relationships, and for peace, and learning. I often learn most when I take the time to listen. Most often, my mind is running at a hundred miles per hour. The hamster mind makes listening a lot more difficult. Just think about how essential listening is for a moment with me. People need to be listened to, because people need to know that other people care about them and respect them. If someone asks me to do something or stop doing something, and I do not listen, then I am being rude. I am guilty of this sometimes, as I am sure a lot of us are. After all, we all are humans. Even if someone is annoyed, and they are not saying it, it is equally important to listen to those non verbal cues. People love to talk about themselves. I certainly know that I like to talk about myself. Listening is one of the keys we turn in the door in order to connect with other people. I am getting better at listening, because being a good listener is paramount for relationships with other people, and ourselves. We have to listen to ourselves as well, because our minds give us a lot of important information. What part of the human skeleton tells the body it is tired? Unquestionably the brain gives us that information. Of course our brains tell us we are inadequate and no good sometimes. The key to that, is to listen so we can reframe those thoughts into positive ones. When I sit quietly and meditate, and concentrate while doing it, I am listening, and learning in quiet. When my mind is racing, I am not listening to anything or anyone. I will tell you one thing, and this I know for sure. Listening takes the focus off any worrying, negativity, anger, and so on and so forth. Interestingly, when I am partaking in negative emotions, and I decide to drop it and listen to someone else, I learn that their problems make mine seem like a joke. So, listen, listen, listen. If I am telling myself something crazy, and I listen, I can listen to how crazy it actually is. Also, if I really listen to a piece of music, I can listen to what the artist is trying to communicate, and learn something, or feel something from it. Listening is a good skill. Before, I think about what I am going to say or do next, I need to listen, or I might miss out on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment