Monday, January 4, 2016

Pearl Fishers

I just wanted to write a brief entry about an opera I just saw at the Met.  This is not a review, since I am not a reviewer.  I just mainly wanted to say that it was a really enjoyable show which I highly recommend people listen to on the radio this Saturday afternoon. It's called The Pearl Fishers and it's by Georges Bizet who is best known for his last opera "Carmen."
    Bizet was a genius who only lived until the age of 36.  Bizet was an exceptional orchestrator, and that is very evident in this opera.  Just listen to the strings in the duet "Au fond du temple saint."  There is also wonderful writing for the flute in this duet which is also a trademark in "Carmen."  Matthew Polenzani and Mariusz Kwiecien did an outstanding job with this duet tonight.  The voices blended very well on the unison E flats in particular.  Diana Damrau not only sang beautifully, but was outstanding as far as dynamic range and presence on stage.
     This show had a lot of highlights, and was one of the best things I've seen recently. Gianandrea Noseda brought the best out of all the performers.  I remember watching him conduct Tosca at the Verbier festival and being in complete awe of him.  The Met orchestra sounded fantastic tonight under his leadership.  I would definitely check this show out if you can.  It's worth going, plus it's not too long.  Highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment