Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Tribute to John Shirley-Quirk

This post is a tribute to the lengendary John Shirley-Quirk, also known as the great hyphen. I just found out that Mr. Shirley-Quirk is retiring from the Peabody faculty. I was fortunate to have the privilege of working with this icon of an artist. He is on well over a hundred recordings and sang repertoire from Bach to Schoenberg, and repertoire in several languages. I remember the beauty and power of both his speaking voice and his singing voice. I have fond memories of his insanely wide range in his singing and speaking voice. He would often say nope in a high pitched voice. He had a great sense of humor as well. I remember complaining that something was too high in his German Lieder class. His response was "get the dime in the butt and sing the damn thing." His repertoire class was a lot of fun to crash when I was pursuing my Masters at Peabody. He was so much fun and supportive to sing for, while he would enjoy his non alcoholic beer. However, on certain days he could really put people in their place. I sang in front of him on one of those days. I was coming down with the flu, and unwisely sang anyway, and he let me have it. That was horrible was said multiple times because I was singing penultimate syllables too long in a recitative. However, first and foremost, he was trying to make me better which he did. Anyway, I am writing this so I can share a little bit about the impressions John Shirley-Quirk left on me. He had a long and very successful singing career, after starting out as a chemist. His voice was extraordinary, like I mentioned. I remember hearing him sing "Wintereisse", "Beethoven 9", songs by Brahms, and the "Mozart Requiem" in remembrance of 9/11. The winner however, was hearing him sing parts of Britten's "War Requiem" in his workshop on the great work by Britten. Mr. Shirley-Quirk premiered several of Britten's works and is on several recordings with Britten conducting his own works, and other works such as "Sea Drift" by Delius. He rode on boats with Britten himself. Swallow that for a second. In this workshop I mentioned above, he sang some of the baritone solos in the "War Requiem" without the score! I have never heard Wilfred Owen's poetry recited with such terror, and bitterness. Everyone in the room realized that something really special was going on. In addition, I have also enjoyed many of his recordings, including his definitive recording of "The Songs of Travel" by Ralph Vaughan Williams. He recorded under practically all the lengendary conductors of the second half of the twentieth century including, Solti, Giulini, Davis, and Monteux to name a few. Like I said, his career was hugely successful, as was his teaching career at Peabody. Despite Mr. Shirley-Quirk's great successes, his life has also been struck by several personal tragedies. I believe he has lost two wives and a daughter. I cannot even comprehend what that must be like, because I have not experienced it. Although, I was glad to be of some support at his daughter's funeral. I admire Mr. Shirley-Quirk's grace during these tragedies. He loved teaching so much that he went right back into it after his daughter's death. When I first interacted with him, I saw him giving a masterclass, and being pretty tough. I was a freshman, so I was intimidated. However, I got to know a great man. I sure was lucky to get to I interact with him as much as I did. His years at Peabody meant a lot to many people.

10 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and this post whilst looking up the great man. A Great read, I'm right now listening to his wonderful recording if Vaughan Williams Five Mystical songs( David Willcock conducting ) and being a big Delius fan I've just now ordered his Sea Drift with Hickox. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phillip, his War Requiem with Hickox is very good. Check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this tribute. I am currently listening to the 1976 archival recording of Thomas Wilson's shattering "Confessions of a Justified Sinner" (available at iTunes) and Mr. Shirley-Quirk is very effective in the role of the demonic Gil-Martin. I wish there was a video recording of this production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased that you are enjoying my late father's Opera Paul. This also featured two other highly respected singers, Philip Langridge in the title role and Thomas Hemsley as the Reverend Wringham, unfortunately there is no video recording of this production but perhaps that will become a reality should there be future performances.

      Martin Wilson

      Delete
  4. I heard him live, singing the role of Gil-Martin in Leeds (Yorkshire, England) in the mid-70's. A great and thoughtful singer, he was such a prominent musician here in the UK in the 60's to the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good info! I will check out Thomas Wilson's opera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been a great admirer of John Shirley Quirk since the 1960's and greatly value the album with him singing RVM's "Songs of Travel"
    which I bought at that time. I have yet to hear a finer recording of that work. I must mention his wonderful singing of "Silent Noon" by the same composer also on that album. Truly marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His recording of "Silent Noon" is very beautiful, I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can find a review of the Confessions of Justified Sinner and a photo of John Shirley Quirk and Philip Langridge at;

    http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19761016&id=gvY-AAAAIBAJ&sjid=aU0MAAAAIBAJ&pg=3938,3634490

    Scottish Opera toured the work throughout the UK to considerable acclaim. The libretto is drawn from James Hogg's seminal novel The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, acknowledged by many as one of the great works of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very saddened to hear of the death of this great baritone last Monday 7 April 2014, aged 82. He leaves a lasting legacy of treasurable recordings, not least of the roles he created for Benjamin Britten. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete