Friday, June 22, 2012

A Few Thoughts On The Bullying Incident

 This bullying story about the kids bullying the older lady on the school bus is unreal.  I'm glad the lady is doing okay, and people are really supporting her.  It seems that bullying is being more noticed these days, and that's thanks to technology.  As a child I was bullied.  I even regretfully bullied a few times just to protect myself and make myself feel better.  I did it very few times, and was always quick to apologize, because I just could not go through with it.  I knew it was the wrong thing to do.  But these kids took it to another level, by calling her poor, and poking fun of her because her son committed suicide.  The lady was crying for crying out loud.  Knowing what it feels like to be bullied, I was very disturbed by the video I saw of these kids calling her fat ass and what not. It's a shame bullying has to go on at all.  The person who is the target of bullies is often a person who is not a fighter.  Defenseless, like this elderly lady.    Fortunately, the positive support by people, and outpouring of love has put a positive spin on the story.  Money was raised for her, and she got an expense paid trip to Disney.  The woman found out about that on Anderson Cooper.  I am very glad.  Since she was riding that bus every day, this bullying must have been going on constantly.  The kid who video taped it had a lot of courage.  Now I hear that the kids who were bullying Karen are getting death threats.  That kind of shit will only increase bullying.  Bullying is an unfortunate thing.  I do not know the answer to stopping it.  Despite the taunting and harassment that this woman went through, she is lucky.  So many people are being bullied, and the incidents are not caught on video like this one was. I always wonder how bullying ever started in the first place. It makes no sense to me. The real nature of people is to be good to one another. Babies aren't born bullies, because that is not possible. The way kids are being raised needs attention. Someone is teaching these kids how to bully. I believe that behavior is modeled, and that kids copy their parents. Or, kids may use bullying as a defense mechanism. I am just left with the question of why people get off on hurting another person. This bullying was outrageous. Unfortunately sensitive people have the big target on their backs, which makes even less sense, since they do not bother anyone. I will never understand bullying. People make mistakes and hurt others sometimes. Maybe these kids were making a mistake. I sure as hell hope they do not bully like this again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment