Thursday, June 13, 2013

Talk up to people, not down



     I have been drawing a blank on what to blog about lately.  So, I am siting in the dark watching my tuxedo cat sleep on my dresser.  She has grown to love that spot.  So much so, that I actually had to clean some of it off for a change.  This cat is certainly a music fan.  She finds it very peaceful.  I was playing songs by Charles Ives earlier, and her ears perked up.  I know that's a good thing because if she doesn't like something she runs away.  A lot of famous composers had cats such as Vaughan Williams and Stravinsky.  My cat is cool, and I can always count on her for the early morning wake up calls I don't want. This is so far a post about nothing.  I guess the purpose is to put my thoughts toward something other than myself.
    I would like to address one thing in this post, and it's my opinion, so take it or leave it.  If I think I can control someone or run their life, I am setting myself up for a disappointment.  People's lives are their lives for a reason.  Now, say I am a parent and my kid is just screwing around and slacking off.  I can point that out and say, hey, you are capable of a lot more, go out and go for your dreams. However, I cannot control the situation.  It seems like a lot of people think they can run people's lives.  They know what you should do.  Sometimes people tell me I should do this and that, and the advice makes no sense, and I didn't ask for the advice.  I realize that the other person may be coming from a loving place, but there is a way of doing it that can be effective.  If I am telling someone they should do whatever like a know it all, that's just arrogant, not helpful or encouraging.  I guess condescending is the word.  I'll be damned if I think I know what other people should do.
   I am a bit annoyed because I get a lot of unsolicited advice, and have been lately.  It makes me feel like I'm not good enough, or I am not being accepted for who I am.  Here's the deal.  There is no need to be arrogant or condescending, or tell people what they need to do.  What a bunch of garbage.  I put people like that out of my life.  They're not building me up, they are shooting me down.  Do not shoot people down or talk down to them.  No one is less than any one else.  People have their own destiny, so who am I to mess around with it.  Do not give advice, especially if it is not relevant.  Suggestions are cool.  I am talking about demands and know it all crap.  Believe in yourself and go after your dreams.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment