Sunday, July 15, 2012

Humans Can Make Choices

The power of being able to choose how we live our lives from one moment to the next is pretty empowering isn't it? Animals do not have that power that we human beings tend to take for granted. I can choose how I behave towards myself and others.  Therefore, if I choose to get angry at various situations that are out of my control, I can choose not to be angry the next time.  I can choose to be compliant or defiant.  I can choose to be professional or unprofessional.  I can choose to be stubborn and prideful or humble.  I can choose whether to do something to help myself or others, or something to hurt myself or others.  When it comes to emotional behaviors, I can choose in any given moment how to behave.  I can choose to do the right thing or the wrong thing.      Choices have consequences or benefits.  Good choices, pay dividends, whereas, bad choices kind of suck.  I can make different choices in any given moment.  I can act positive or negative.  I prefer the positive myself.  I have chosen the negative enough times already, and it can hurt others and myself, therefore it has consequences.  Now, by positive  versus negativeI mean that I can take a glass and fill it to the top, or spill the damn thing out.  Spilling it out never feels good in my humble opinion.  There is hope with one choice and hopelessness with the other.   Good choices equal good results  02It is so black and white it blows my mind.  Usually a good choice versus a bad choice is obvious just based on my gut reaction.   However, in cases where it is not obvious just think about it a little.  Think, is this going to help me or hurt me? Will it hurt someone else?   Usually the answer is obvious.  Am I going to exercise or eat an entire pizza if I am trying to lose weight?  If I am unsure if I should say something, should I say it if it may be potentially hurtful?  The answer to that is no, believe me.  Fairly obvious right?      I can get into Mr. Forgetful mode and forget I actually have a choice.  I can start thinking about how I should have done this, should have done that, or think of what I have done, what I can do, and being grateful for what I do have.  When I get into ungrateful mode, I must remember to pause and get back to being grateful.  If I am in the self pity mode, how on earth is it possible to grow?  Life is about growth, and facing one thing after another.  If I don't face things, I am staying in safe mode.  Safe mode feels great for a short time, then sort of stops working on me. For example if I do not challenge myself with my craft, then I am in safe mode, and do not grow in my craft.  Waste of time. Growth mode is getting out of my comfort zone, and it feels good once I get out of that comfort zone.  I can choose which mode I take.  So choice, is a very important concept, and I have the power to make choices that either work  in my favor or backfire.  The choices we make have a very strong impact on our lives and other people's lives.  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment