Sunday, March 10, 2013

Taking Risks

I have not written a blog since January, because it has been a long and busy winter.  Winter is always a a bit rough for me mentally and physically.  However, some good things happened such as playing a small role with Opera Philadelphia, in which I got to yell "merde" on stage.  Also, I got to be a part of New York Virtuoso Singers twenty fifth anniversary project in which twenty five total choral works premiered on stage and in the recording studio.  I got to see two operas at the Met.  A "Parsifal" with stunning singing and playing, and a "Don Carlo" which didn't do it for me.  
     The most famous tenor in opera right now, Jonas Kaufmann was unreal as Parsifal.   It is incredible to watch him be so committed to each role he sings.  Kaufmann sings Wagner without yelling, and also has a large variety of colors vocally and physically.  So, what makes this guy so great?
   First of all, he is incredibly gifted.  The powers from above gave him an incredible risk.  Second, and most importantly, he has the courage to take risks.  Risk taking is important, and both success and failure are inevitable in risk taking.  Sometimes when someone as great as Kaufmann takes a risk it doesn't work out.  I've witnessed that personally in the theatre, but I still admired the fact that he took the risk. 
   Better to take risks then not to take risks.  Easier said then done, right?  This idea of taking risks goes for a number of things.  Comfort zone doesn't work, I'm sorry to say.  It is temporary comfort, then it becomes unsatisfying really quickly.  At least this is the case for me.  So, I am going to put myself out there and take more risks.  Some of them are going to work,  some of them are going to fail.  This is the way it goes no matter who you are or how famous you are.
   Anyway, I have really missed writing blogs, because I had kind of lost my touch for a 
while.   Remember to keep breathing, and do not chase negative thoughts, because they are not real.  When I say that, I am talking about thoughts that shoot down the higher self.  Self degrading thoughts, that keep me from growing.  Have a good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment