Monday, April 7, 2014

In Memory of John Shirley-Quirk

 On April 7, 2014 we lost an amazing human being, musician, and teacher.  John Shirley-Quirk was an English bass-baritone who premiered many works by famed British composer Benjamin Britten.  I admit that when I first encountered Mr. Shirley-Quirk as a freshman at Peabody I was really intimidated.  He was giving a master class and was being pretty stern with the participating students.  However, over time I got to know a wonderful man and a legendary artist who I viewed as a god like figure.   He had an amazing speaking and singing voice, is on well over a hundred recordings and he sang all over the world.  His voice was beautiful and he had a uniquely wide vocal range from bottom to top.  He also had a great sense of humor.  For example, I was reading German out loud in a monotonous voice because I was tired and he said "I don't want to be put to sleep.  Wake up!"   I also remember him telling someone in a master class that they sounded like they said pee because they didn't put the final consonant on at the end of a word.  I always enjoyed the laid back and friendly atmosphere of his repertoire class, and he cared a great deal about all of his students.
   John Shirley-Quirk had great success in his career, and as a teacher.  I would say that riding in a boat with Benjamin Britten indicates some serious success.  Despite his success, he also faced a lot of tragedies in his life.  He lost two wives, Patricia Hastings and Sara Watkins Shirley-Quirk and his daughter Emily.  These loses were not only tragic, but to my knowledge completely unexpected.  I attended Emily's funeral in 2001, and I really admired the strength Mr. Shirley-Quirk exhibited during the funeral.  I don't know how anyone can go through something like that, especially considering Emily was only fifteen.  He came to school and taught the following day.  I could see he was in great pain as anyone would be, but I was really impressed with how strong he was and how strong he stayed.
     There are many memories I have of John Shirley-Quirk.  I remember singing Beethoven 9, and he was the bass soloist.  He also recorded that same solo for famed conductor Carlo Maria Giulini.  I also remember singing the Mozart Requiem for a 9/11 memorial concert and he was the bass soloist.  I remember him singing parts of Britten's War Requiem from memory in a workshop he was giving on the work.  Also, I remember him singing "Auf dem Kirchofe" by Brahms, and also he sang the first song of "Schumann's Liederkreis Op. 39" for me in a class.  I had to sing it again after that, which was an impossible act to follow.  I also remember him being really pissed off at me once in a recitative class for holding the penultimate syllables too long.  He was absolutely correct of course.  He is on many famous recordings with many famous conductors and pianists.   Probably my favorite of them all is his recording of Vaughan William's song cycle "Songs of Travel."  Mr. Shirley-Quirk's interpretation of that work sets the standard for performances of the work.  He is also on a famous recording of Mahler's eighth symphony under George Solti, and Handel's "Messiah" under Colin Davis to name a few.
    I was fortunate to work with Mr. Shirley-Quirk many times, and to be able to hear him sing in person many times.  I wish I had been able to see him again over the past decade. We all have to go because dying is a part of life, but it is always sad to lose someone you love and admire.  Mr. Shirley-Quirk will be missed by all who knew him, and the world of classical music will also miss his fantastic singing and sensitive musicianship.
 

1 comment:

  1. A nice tribute for a nice man and a wonderful musician, he will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete