Friday, December 23, 2011

The Messiah in Splendor at Carnegie Hall

Handel's "Messiah" is one of the most popular musical works in the entire universe. The fact that it is truly a great work is a valid reason for its popularity. Tonight as I was sitting in the audience I realized that I had never sat in the audience during this work. Standing up during the "Hallelujah" chorus in Carnegie hall was surreal. When Handel put down his pen after writing that chorus which ends part 2, it is said that he was crying because he knew he had written something special. The performance I saw this evening involved The Masterwork Chorus and Orchestra with Katharine Dain, Soprano, Abigail Nims, Mezzo-soprano, Matthew Anderson, Tenor, and Mark Moliterno, Bass-baritone. Andrew Megill conducted. According to Dr. Megill's program notes, Handel completed "Messiah" in 24 days. That is quite an astonishing fea. The first thing I noticed about Megill's direction was his superior cuing in his conducting gestures. The chorus was mostly volunteer, and considering that they did a great job. Ms. Dain handled the coloratura in "Rejoice Greatly" very well. I thought the very fast tempo might be a problem until I was proven wrong. I liked her work in the duet "He shall feed His flock like a shepherd." I also enjoyed Ms. Nim's singing in that duet. She also sang "He was depised" quite well. Matthew Anderson would make a good Evangelist in Bach's passions is what went through my mind while he was singing. Then I saw that he does a lot of Bach solos in his bio, which doesn't surprise me. His voice fit the tenor solos well in this piece. Mark Moliterno brought his strong bass-baritone to the bass arias. A bass-baritone with a solid upper range is the ideal fit for the bass arias in "Messiah." The recit preceding "The Trumpet Shall Sound" was handled beautifully by Mr. Moliterno. It was one of the highlights of the performance as a matter of fact because of his coloring on the word "mystery." Handel's "Messiah" is a masterpiece, but I find myself wanting to hear works such as Bach's "Christmas Oratorio" and "L'anfance du Christ" done more often. I do not think they get the credit they deserve. Both of those pieces are as great as "Messiah" in my book, and that is saying a lot. However, "Messiah" is essential for the arts financially. I sang in "Messiah" in Philadelphia last weekend and the house was full. Tonight's performance was also full. Dr. Megill certainly brought solid leadership tonight. I am glad that this chorus and orchestra seem to be thriving when so many organizations in the arts are not. As a musician with sensitive ears, I could say certain things could have been better about the performance. The same thing goes for any performances. However, after standing during the "Hallelujah" chorus I was enjoying myself. Enjoyment is a huge part of the purpose of any musical performance.

1 comment: